RAW GAS SMELL INSIDE CAR

2002 Mercury Marquis • 65,000 miles

2002 mercury grand marquis, 65,000 miles. Live in las vegas. Very hot & dry.
last week had strong raw gas smell inside car when climbing from desert floor to top of mountain road. Approx altitude climb from 2500 - 8000ft on long straight road, fairly steep incline. Parked at top, car sat for three hours while I hiked. Started up as usual, ran normally with no gas smell after that and has run perfectly in town all week.
now this week on way to hiking spot the engine shut down as I stopped in order to turn off highway on to the mountain road, after a 15 minute run on flat highway at 80/85mph. Everything shut off, no power steering etc. Turned key off and on and it started up right away and sounded normal. But once again got strong gas smell as I climbed up the mountain road.
any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Nibiru101

I would have the computer scanned for codes if you have any post the exact code numbers not code descriptions. Also for the gas smell get some fuel dye to add to the gas tank. Then when you smell the gas smell again you can trace the leak with a dye light. Also after you check for codes make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.

If there's no fuel line leaks -have the evaporative emission control system checked-charcoal canister could be saturated with fuel or leak in the Evap system