CANNOT PULL DRIVE AXLE

2002 Mazda MPV • 150,000 miles

I cannot pull drive axle on 2002 Mazda MPV.
Dwightvogt

You need pry bar or a slide hammer for the job.

What have you done so far? Have you got the outer end out of the bearing hub yet? Or is it just stuck in the transmission end?

Mhpautos
It is on the passenger side, so the drive axle actually slips into an extension axle and not directly into the transmission which is on the driver side. I pulled the axle on my daughter's civic and it popped right out with a couple of sharp pulls. I did not have a pry bar so I just jerked on the axle. So hard that I actually pulled the axle apart It split at the cv joint. So now I have just the back hub of the drive axle still stuck in the extension axle. On a schematic it looks like there is a c clip that holds it, but this should pop eventually. I have tried rotating the hub so the c clip might move a bit, prying it with a flat bar, hitting it with a hammer, but nothing works. Any suggestions other than call a mobile mechanic? Thanks Dwight

Dwightvogt
The joint that is plugged into the intermediate shaft is usually rather stubbor. Hitting woth a hammer directly is not going to work. Get a rod and push it at the joint while you use the hammer to hit the rod to get it out. Gonna have to hit it hard unless you have a slide hammer with attachement for pulling it out.

Ok. Thanks much. Dwight

Dwightvogt
You're welcome.