FRONT A/C/AIR/HEAT DOES NOT WORK? HOW CAN GET IT TO WORK?

2002 Kia Sedona • 151,000 miles

I pulled the blower motor and fan and tested it, it works and spins just fine. The rear heat and a/c and air work just fine. When I push the A/C button in the green light does not come on like its suppose to? When I turn the fan speed knob I get nothing for the front, but back works fine. I checked the fuses and they all look fine, only two things I think it Could be are the fan resonator or maybe a relay? If the resonantor is dead competely will that keep the blower from working all together? Or can it still work with out it?
02sedonaex

Usually if the power transistor or resistor is bad, you would be able to get at least one speed working but they do fail completely at times.

If the green light is not coming on, it means the A/C compressor is not working and if the fan is not working as well, a power supply is missing somewhere or it could be a bad component or ground circuit.

Are you able to perform basic electrial testings with aDVOM or test light?

I haven't done anything like that in years, but if you lay out what I'm looking for and what/how to test I'm sure I can do it. I have a GB Instruments GMT-19A it does DC V 1000-2.5, AC V 10-1000, INGS x1- 1.5V etc. Will this tester work? Lay it out for me and I'll go do it.

02sedonaex
I have the schematics here. GEt an idea what they are and we can continue from there. As long as your meter can be set to range of 15 volts, it should be good.

I need some clarifications to understand the problem better. We are dealing only with the front fans so what ever I ask or reply would be to that only.

Does the fan work in any speed? Maximum? If no, test the the black red wire at blower motor for battery voltage. If voltage is not available, check the front blower motor relay and ensure you have battery voltage going to it. Ensure the front wiper fuse is good.

I didn't think to check that fuse because the layout I have says fuse #8 says it's (front widerheadlight, heat and A/C.) The front wipers/sprayer worldm fine, as the headlights. I will check it, I think my meter only goes up to 10. I'll have a look at all of that, thank you again for all your help.

Yes, the fan doesn't work on any speed.

02sedonaex
I did pull the The front blower relay and put in another 30amp. Nothing happend? Kinda at a loss, should I give up and take it to a dealer?

02sedonaex
We have not really started and I am not ready to give up yet but you are throwing in the towel?

Just in case you want to continue, at the blower motor, check the Black/Red wire for battery voltage with ignition switch turned on. You can unplug the wire if you wish but not necessary.

If battery voltage is not available, problem is from blower relay.

If you have battery voltage, use a wire to ground the Blue wire. Connector must not be disconnected from blower for this test.

If blower works, problem would be from switch onwards. We will get to that if necessary.

Not giving in at all just ready to scream, car is driving me nuts. I'll have a look at that today. Thanks again for all the help and not giving up.

02sedonaex
As long as you want to carry on, I would be backing you all the way.

Hell yeah, dealer cost is outrageous.

02sedonaex
That is one of the reason we are here, to help car owners save on cost whenever possible.