CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON

2002 Kia Sedona • 59,000 miles

Had the 60000 mi. Maint performed about 58700 mi. At about 59000 mi. Check engine light came on and stayed on. (Timing belt, plugs, engine oil change, trans oil change, anti freeze & thermostat.) You probably know the intake manifold has to be removed to change the plugs.

Dealer checked and said two valves are sticking(emission control valves- don't recall which specifically) cost $949.(One valve is $545) to replace. Mechanic had to reassemble what was disassembled for finding the problem before I could drive the vehicle.

Left the dealership - no check engine light is on, drove about 25 miles.

It would appear at this point that I can wait and see if the problem re-occurs - seems like this occurred in the past and the dealer reset the codes.

What is your suggestion on this problem?

Thank you.

P.S. We purchased new in 2002.
Freckle99

CEL/SES On

What you need to do here is have the computer scanned for OBD2 codes, there's a problem within the engine management system that caused the light to turn On, this is your starting point of diagnosis

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Next time get codes read by local auto store/shop and then ask with codes/info we can pin down.

Fixitmr
Thank you for your responses.

Went to the Kia dealership first. In this case maybe a mistake. In the past had an ASE mechanic ruin a Suburban engine @105K so first thought has been to go to the dealer with significant engine problems.

That's a good thought to get the codes first then look to 2Carpros before going to a dealership.

Thank you again.

Hope your New Year is filled with Green(backs) and lots of joyous occassions!

Freckle99