CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2002 Kia Sedona

2002 Kia Sedona 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

The " Check Engine" light remains lit and when I refill the van the gas hose clicks off after about 3/4 of a gallon. I can hear the gas rising up the tube before the pump clicks off. I have changed the charcoal canister and canister close valve by recommendation but I still have the same problem. I have an exhaust smell - not bad - the van runs fine, and the gas mileage has not changed. Any thoughts? Since my extened warranty consders this an emission problem, they won't cover the repair. Thank you.
Tom White

First we need to find out why the light is on. Even if you fixed the problem the light will remain on untill it turned off. So what you should do is go to one of your local parts stores that offeres a free code scan and have them scan it and write down the codes that come up and have them reset the light ok. Then get back to me with the codes and we will go from there.

Racefan966
Thank you for getting back to me. After reading other responses you gave to a similar problem I crawled under my van and followed the gas filler pipe to the gas tank. I wiggled it and hit it a few times. Whether it's a coincidence or not the check engine light has gone out and I was able to fill the gas tank normally. Perhaps a combination of changing the charcoal canister and check valve plus shaking the filler line cured my problem. Time will tell. May I keep this correspondence open until I'm sure the fix has corrected the problem? Thank you again for your timely reply.

Tom

Tom White
Glad to hear that the light it out it was probable do to the pressure in the tank not being right like it you leave the gas cap off the light comes on. If you have any more issues just let me know. Thanks for the support.

Racefan966