HYUNDAI SANTA FE GREASE PROBLEM

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe • 120,000 miles

This is for my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Base 4cyl 2.4L

My cam position sensor connector broke apart - I cannot find one anywhere online or from Hyundai parts or my local junk yards. Do you have any idea where I can get a replacement pigtail for this? I found parts online for the 6cyl 2.7L Santa Fe - but not my 4cyl 2.4L

I didn't find one either. Here's an alternative. If the terminals are the male socket and female pin types, (not the simple flat blades that slide over each other), be sure they fit snugly together and install them in the right order. Use a toothpick to lightly coat the inside of the sensor with a light grease, then fill around the terminals with RTV gasket sealer. The grease will prevent it from sticking to the sensor. I use the gray stuff from the Chrysler dealer because I'm very familiar with it and it sets up fairly hard so it makes a good connector body. Their black stuff stays more rubbery but it will work too. If the connector is fairly large, the sealer may not cure all the way through in a day but it should get hard enough that you can drive the car. Once it has fully hardened and you unplug it, the grease will wipe off and leave a gap where water can sneak in. Add a small bead of sealer around the outer edge to seal out moisture. That will be easy enough to break the bond if you have to unplug it later. The original connector had a rubber weather-pack seal but you won't be able to work that in so it will be tight enough to seal.

You can find other brands of the same sealers at hardware stores or other dealerships. I mentioned the Chrysler stuff because that's the products I've used. The gray stuff works great for a lot of other things. I just fixed a speaker with some yesterday.