LIMP MODE?

2002 Honda Civic • 1.4L 2WD Automatic • 192,000 miles

For several days my Honda has experienced something I've never heard of before. The first time this incident began was when I was in rush hour going home. At some point during the slow traffic my engine light turn on and I noticed my car took a harder push to the gas pedal to accelerate. When I was able to get free my car could only go a top speed of 30 mph. No matter if I pressed on the gas harder it wouldn't go. So I had to leave my vehicle at a friend's house. The next day I went to go check my car out and when I turned it on the engine light had turned off and it was like nothing ever happened. I drove it home with a very confused thought. Over the days I noticed either during traffic or prolonged periods of driving this will occur. Light will turn on and my gears will switch back from 5 to like 3. I did some searching and found my problem could be my Top Dead Center (TDC) sensor. Most people with similar problems report of the same thing. Supposedly the cause of my problem would be that my computer is receiving an incorrect signal from my tdc and it forces my car into "limp mode" to where the vehicle could only go a certain speed to not harm the engine but able to get off the road. Is this my real problem or something else?
Sergeperez

First I would suggest going to a parts store for a free code check. Even if the light is out an inactive code can still be present. Need to do this first to find what the fault is.