STARTING PROBLEMS

2002 Ford Focus • 130,000 miles

My car starts up in the morning, and starts every time as long as I stay in town. If I drive for over an hour with out letting my car set for over an hour it doesn't start up after being shut off. I have had my battery, alternator, and starter checked (all came back good) I am lost as to what I should do. I have read it could be the ignition, the coils in the starter, or even the solenoid. Or heck even my transponder key. Please help

Rebeccajean

So when it doesn't start you have. Crank no start?Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

No it doesn't crank. And yes I have a meter. The battery was replaced 2 days ago just incase. I hear the fuel pump turn on and the starter click when I try to start it.

Rebeccajean
No other noises other than the fuel pump and starter. When it doesn't start

Rebeccajean
See if the gray wire to the starter has power to it with the key in the start position when it doesn't start?

It does have power. It starts better when its cold. However, lately I haven't been having a problem cuz I read that you can't have any other keys near or touching your transponder key.

Rebeccajean
So the problem is gone that's great you figured it out.

However it didn't start today again. Took about an hour of trying so many things that it finally started. So I guess I'm back to square one. I'm lost. The solenoid makes noise and you can hear the starter and fuel pump. My question is could the starter still be bad even though it tests good and clicks everytime you start it, or try to start it? Is there any way to test the starter?

Rebeccajean
Oh yeah you can have a bad starter that tests good and doesn't work sometimes happens all the time with starters. If you have a good power input on the big battery cable and the trigger wire has good power like I asked when the starter doesnt turn the engine over bad starter.