DODGE NEON THERMOSTAT PROBLEM

2002 Dodge Neon • 77,521 miles

Ok so my car was over heating so I changed my thermostat because my radiator is like only 1 year old now the car don't over heat so far but now I drive like about a mile come home and I don't have water but don't over heat so I flushed my radiator and my block wat could be the problem

Please put some punctuation in that huge sentence, otherwise it can be read at least three different way. The logic is confusing too. It's not overheating but there's no coolant in the engine? It wasn't just that the reservoir was low or empty, was it? Flushing the engine isn't going to accomplish anything. Although thermostats don't fail very often, once you replaced it, you have to bleed the air out from under it when you refill the coolant. If you did not do that you can get lucky sometimes and it will bleed by itself. A lot of thermostats have small bleed holes in them for that purpose. If that air pocket burped out on its own, coolant level in the reservoir, and possibly the radiator would go down and all that would be needed is to refill them.

Once the system is bled and full, if the overheating occurs again, it is likely due to a leaking head gasket. Combustion gases pool under the thermostat causing it to not open. Thermostats open in response to hot liquid, not hot air. There is a chemical test you can do to check for a leaking head gasket. Air is drawn from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, that liquid will turn bright yellow.