I HAVE A WITH 101,000 MILES ON IT. WE STILL OWE $2000 FROM OUR CAR LOAN TO PAY IT OFF. THE ASC MECHANIC INFORMED US THAT WE NEED TO REPLACE THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS-HE WILL CHARGE $290 FOR THIS, THE WHEEL BEARING-$200, ENGINE MOUNT

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 101,000 miles

Is all the above car repairs worth keeping this car?
Cathysupina

What's wrong with it?

Cathysupina, most of your question was cut off, including the most important part describing what's wrong with the car. Are you still interested in knowing if it's worth fixing?

Rivermikerat
NO, my husband went online ordered some parts and read instructions on how to fix all the repairs that needed to be done. It took him awhile but going to a mechanic would have cost over 1000. Our 2002 PT cruiser has cost us more in repairs than any car that we have owned. Can you suggest a good reliable used car whose repair costs would not be thru the roof. Prefer American made cars by the way--money stays in the USA

Cathysupina
That depends on what you need it for. Kids to and from school? Or just mom or dad to and from work? Need to be able to move large loads?

I've always been partial to Chevys and against Fords, myself. Let me know the projected uses for the vehicle and I'll do a little looking around. Also what age group/general mileage you're looking for.

Rivermikerat
Thanks for responding. My husband too likes Chevy's we would need it for both work and hauling kids. My husband's work is about 30 miles from our house, so we switch vechicles alot with our 2001 Ford Sport Trac, which by the way has turned out to be a decent vehicle for us. When we got it in 2008 it was pretty much kept in a garage so it had really low mileage, so we lucked out, but we need another vehicle to even things out. We pretty much use both vehicles evenly, but always take our Sports Trac on longer outings. We always buy used and are looking for reliable and low repair costs. Thanks for searching!

Cathysupina
I haven't heard any complaints about the Astro Van. But, if you want something a little smaller and more stylish, the Malibu and Impala are also pretty reliable cars. The Aveo is a might bit smaller and gets pretty good mileage. Also, not a Chevy, but most, if I recall correctly, are built under contract with Chevy, the Toyota Corolla is also reliable and gets good mileage.

Rivermikerat