GROANING SOUND WHEN TURNING

2002 Buick Rendezvous • 6 cylinder AWD Automatic • 201,000 miles

What would make the vehicle groan when turning slow to medium slow speeds, I can't decide if it is coming from the front or back or both.
Puddytat2

It could be a bearing or your rear differential unit is it only while turning and heard no other time?

Could also be low on power steering fluid, Have you checked your fluid level lately?

Ronson
That is a great point I forgot to ask if you can hear the noise while just turning the wheels and not moving?Also wouldn't be a bad idea to just check the power steering fluid anyways.

Thanks,
Power steering fluid is fine and yes it only does it when turning. It has done it for quite some time but is getting a little worse. It also squeaks at very low speeds and breaks have been checked out and nothing wrong there.

Puddytat2
So is the squeak noise you hear coming from your brakes when you press the brake pedal?If so does it only make the noise when you first start driving and make your first few stops?Also if you were going to drive slowy in a circle would it make that groanig noise your hearing?Is the groaning noise a rotationial noise?You have to determine if the noise is coming from the front or rear?You could have moisture/water in the rear differntial unit.

The squeak is when rolling at low speed and brake pedal not depressed.(Slow like rolling forward in a line of traffic waiting to turn)It pretty much stops once I take off. It does make the groaning noise when driving in a circle and I believe it is from the rear. I would consider it a rotational noise.

Puddytat2
That groaning while turning in a circle I would suspect possibly moisture in the rear diff fluid.I would try changing the fluid.

To get rid of noise, you will need to buy 8 containers of VersaTrak Fluid GM P/N 12378514 at any GM dealer. Drain the fluid in the rear differential, add 4 containers until the last one drips out, stop filling, and re-install drain plug. Drive in 8 tight figure 8's, then drive 10 miles. Again, drain out the fluid in the rear differential, add 4 containers until the last one drips out, stop filling, and re-install drain plug. Drive in 8 tight figure 8's and you will notice the noise is gone immediately or after several miles. My moan/groan noise didn't stop until after I drove on a long trip.

Retired GM
Thanks for the back up we had a similar problem with the all wheel drive saturn vues but all we had to do is drain and refill to get rid of the noises. The same with the saturn skys.