BRAKING FAILED. INTERMITTENT PROBLEM 316I COMPACT

2002 BMW 316 • 120,000 miles

I was reversing out of a carspace, went to apply brakes and foot went straight to floor. Brakes not working at all, pedal floppy. Pumped pedal and came back after time. Have not had a problem since! Had everything checked at garage, even checking pedal itself. A new master cylinder will cost in excess of £200. Is it necessary to replace this? Quite a worry that it may do it again.
Damonsbeads

Such symptoms indicates the master cylinder is the most likely cause.

If the component is faulty, which is more important, 200 or your life? Vehicle is 10 years old and if the master cylinder is still good, it should also be due for repair/replacement if there are any brake related problems.

Hold pressure on brake pedal if it slowly goes to floor then yes replace master. If it was me would replace or buy more life insurance

Docfixit
Hey Doc,

Buying more insurance would only benefit others, lol.

Thanks for your replies. I do have life insurance (LOL) but I guess you have told me what I already was thinking - Get new master cylinder. Car passed its MOT yesterday and was told the brakes were fine !

Damonsbeads
It can be fine now but it won't be for long if the master cylinder is failing.