THE CAR CRANK ABOUT 5-7 SECONDS BEFORE START, FEELS LIKE DID NOT GET GAS.

2002 Audi A6 • 144,000 miles

Every morning the car is crank about 5-7 seconds before start.
Just happend a couple days ago, the morning my car start normal, I drove it a couple feet, than the engine stop.I try to start again, but wont start.
Checked the gas, was a little low, but about quarter of tank.
about 10 minutes later the car just start, and run all day, but after that happend the same crank problem is keep comming back every morning, and when I stop more than 20 minutes.I was ask my audi mech, he checked test the car, no system errors, no check engine light, nothing. He said have to change the fuel pump. I am not sure because the car runs, so the fuel pump is functional all time.I was checked myself the tank cap gasket have a little bit a crack on it, so could be a little leak, what cause the problem. The other idea was put some techron in to the fuel to clean the system and injectors, what seems to be good the car running smother but dont fixed the problem.
I hope you get enough info to help me out?
thanks
Vbali76

Could be a bad check valve in the fuel pump. Could be a bad pressure regulator bleeding down overnight. Could be a bad coolant sensor as well.

You need someone with a scan tool to monitor these functions to verify.

Do you think I can just check the check valve with out change the fuel pump?
Because that was the first quess, the check valve, after start the car runs.

Vbali76
There is a pressure regulator on the fuel rail. The check valve is part of the fuel pump.

I would not guess as it is expensive and most of the time wrong