I HAVE A AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEMS

2001 Saturn SC2 • 100,000 miles

I have a 2001 Saturn sc2 with an automatic transmission. Recently it started to shift hard in all gears, including delayed slam into reverse. Sometimes it won’t go into fourth gear either, but sometimes it shifts pretty much normal. I changed fluid and filter. The fluid was not in bad condition. I replaced a bad transmission speed sensor (after having the codes read at AutoZone) which made no difference. The service engine light keeps going on and of occasionally so I went back to AutoZone and they read the codes again and now it is reading a bad shift solenoid for fourth gear. Would that solenoid being bad possibly make it act like this?
Stickman69

Could be the solenoid and other internal problems such as the valve body and throttle/governor pressures -the best thing to do is bring it in and have it further checked by a tranny specialist

Just to add to this one what are the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions. If its a 4th gear ratio error code then that is most likely caused by your pressure issue inside the transmission you have based on your descrition. The pressure issues are usually caused by a bad pressure regulator inside your transmission. When its shifting hard do you still get a delay bang into reverse?

Yes, I always get the delayed bang into reverse. I am sorry but I don't know the code number(s)

Stickman69
The codes would really help without them I could only guess as to what they are and I dont guess. If you want to fix this yourself your going to need tools Like a air compressor with a rubber blow tipped nozzle to air check the clutches and the reverse servo piston.A transmission pressure gauge set I have a nice otc one that is only like 70 that has two gauges one for oil and one for transmission pressure with adapters for different applications. You could also have a loose input shaft nut that would require removing the transmission end cover to tighten in. Thats along with the pressure issue if your not will to buy the tools and get dirty then you will have to take it in to be fixed. Just make sure you check back with me and tell me what exact steps they used to diagnose the car.

I will and thank you

Stickman69
Your welcome keep me posted if you drive it too long like that you will burn up some clutches keep that in mind.