SATURN L200 ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Saturn L200 • 123,000 miles

Engine quit, Car has 3/4's fuel, guage reads empty. Can't hear pump, fuse checks okay. I jacked up car to look for wireing harnass, no joy.

If you have 3/4 of a tank of gas but it suddenly reads empty and wont start sounds like a bad body control module really common on that car.I have replaced tons of those body control modules on the 2000-2004 L model saturns. You can check the fuses but I doubt you will find anything there. The first thing I would do is use a scan tool that can read the body control module on that car if you cant talk to it most likely its a bad body control module.I have replaced so many of those body control modules on those cars I have one bad one to fit each of the L models for 2000-2004 for testers.

Thanks. Never heard of a body control module. And who decided that we need one, cars are too complicated these days. I don't have a scanner. Any other way to check it? Where is this module, and what does it look like? If it is an expensive item?

Aerospares
RSVP?

Aerospares
Still waiting for your reply.

Aerospares
The way it was explained to me by a few car engineers I have met is the consumer drives all the new car gadget hype. Every year the consumer buying cars or cell phones etc are looking for new features etc. Also the government has a impact on that also so the engineers scramble to put something out. Unfortunately if isnt proven which a lot of it isnt then the consumer is left with repairs cost etc. Heres a great example in 1997 gm started leasing the gm ev1 in california and airzona. Saturn was told to lease service and market the car.I went to factory gm ev1 training its a gm impact that was un, veiled in the early 1990's at the auto show.I met all the engineers that designed the car at the training for car. We would leave class each day and go back to our hotel room and replace a good 15 pages in the service manual. The fit and finsh was terrible they even made seal update kits so the door seals would and fit better. They constantly broke down average repair bill was 800-1200 which was under warranty gm lost a lot of money on that one. The government pushed that one because like 1 or 2 percent of there fleet has to be zero emissions. Talking with the engineers that made the car they said they had 6 months to turn a prototype car into a production car. It had 27 batteries seven computers and over 500 trouble codes. Something would fail and set 50 trouble codes in 3 or more computers. It was hit and. Miss fixing them because there wasnt any proven repairs and failures. Your body control module controls the shifter interlock keyless entry door locks anti theft fuel gauge temp gauge just to name a few. Its mounted to the top of the glove box cant miss it. Do you have a pick a part by you?Also a new one is in the mid 200's if you buy it online and it has to be programed at a gm dealer for mileage options etc.

We are on the internet this is instant message where iam waiting for your message to reply. We are people who volunteer our time to help people like you in our spare time. So you may get a reply right away or it may take a while depending on how busy iam doing something else.I know your car is not running and that you want it running as soon as possible I get that. Also your talking to the right person iam a factory trained saturn tech.

Thank you for the insight. Leave it to the buying public, and the government to foul things up. Sounds like the Space Shuttle in the early days when Rockwell ran the show. I'm from the days of points/plugs/and condensers. I remember my neighbor setting the points on his old Pontiac with a match book, nothing complicated about that.

Yes, there is a U-pull it near by where I can look for a body control module. Again, fuel gauge pegged at empty, and no sound from the fuel pump when the key is turned on, not even when the starter is engaged. Hope another BCM fixes the problem.

Best regards,
gr

Aerospares
One other question, can I use a junk yard BCM from another year Saturn or must it be a 2001? And will it have to be programed by a dealer?
Thanks again,
gr

Aerospares
Heres where the hard part comes in you will need to find a 2001 4cyl engine L model saturn there year and engine specific on those.I would only use a used one for testing only they store the mileage in so what ever milegae is on the donor car will read on your car from it. Plus to start the car the pass lock will have to be relearned. But if the gauges etc work you will know the body control module is bad. Also I had a 1969 caddy loved that car hated the points installed a petronix electronic ignition conversion with a high output coil what a diference in idling starting running. With 10.5: 1 compression doesnt run so well on points.

I posted the pass lock relearn procedure for you so you can start the car to drive it to get a new one installed and program. Also a used bcm can set off the abs air bag light etc.