I HAVE PURCHASED A 1.3 EXI. I WISH TO FULLY OVERHAUL IT. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT AND IF SO THEN WHAT WOULD BE ITS RENEWED LIFE.

2001 Honda City • 74,000 miles

I enjoy driving my car and now I feel that I should enhance that pleasure for me and my family. I am thinking of completely ridding the body, fuel tank and chassis of rust, repairing corrosion, treating it and re painting it. Replacing the electrical and lighting completely. Replacing the existing suspensions with far superior ones. Installing disc brakes front and rear. Replacing the clutch and gear box. Re-doing the power steering and the steering pump. Overhauling its engine totally. Changing its wipers and side view mirrors. Redoing the power windows, the Audio and the AC. Repainting its alloy wheels. Check if fuel pump, air filter, radiator etc needs to be replaced. Change as much rubber and plastics of the car on the whole. Shading all window glass. I estimate cost to come close to 4 lacks Inr.
At80

Cheaper/easier to buy better car?

Fixitmr
My car Engine is in excellent condition as checked and confirmed by the Solitaire Honda service center at Mumbai, also confirmed by other Honda City car owners after driving it. It has done 74000Km till date. My Daily usage is approximately 10 Km per day. My Car was not affected by the 2005 Deluge in Mumbai(More than 75% of the cars prior to 26th Sept 2005 present in the city of Mumbai were submerged under water for more than a day as a result of Cloud burst on that day). Hense minimum rust damage overall on the car body. The vehicle was never involved in any accidents Hense no damage to the body.
Even If I were to go for the cheapest variant of the New Honda Sedan(Petrol)or for any other brand in the C segment, I will end up paying more than 7.5 lacks. I would drive it for another 5 years before I consider another upgrade. At the current rate of hike in the petrol price in India I don't foresee a bright future for Petrol vehicles (4 wheeler). I feel it would be less painful for me to wright-off a 2001 1.3 Exi Honda City currently worth 4 lacks today, than a 2012 Honda City 1.5 Corporate(present base model of the Honda City)currently worth 7.5 lacks.

At80
Even If I were to go for the cheapest variant of the New Honda Sedan(Petrol)or for any other brand in the C segment, I will end up paying more than 7.5 lacks. I would drive it for another 5 years before I consider another upgrade. At the current rate of hike in the petrol price in India I don't foresee a bright future for Petrol vehicles (4 wheeler) in this country. I feel it would be less painful for me to wright-off a 2001 1.3 Exi Honda City currently worth 4 lacks today, than a 2012 Honda City 1.5 Corporate(present base model of the Honda City)currently worth 7.5 lacks.

At80
It's up to you but it is major time involved. If motor is fine I would postpone that part till it's really needed.

Fixitmr
Thanks Sir
I think, like you said, it is unwise to consider an engine overhauling or replacing the car suspensions unless it is needed. But other than that, everything else I mentioned doing could enhance the life, performance and presence of my car. I am very impressed by the Honda and always try to experience my rides, when ever I do so. I try to follow the RPM gauge when I drive. Eg: - I always shift to a higher gear when the RPM needle exceeds 2.5 and I always shift to a lower gear when the RPM needle drops below 1.5 am I driving it right or would you suggest otherwise.

At80
I never got into downshifting I just let rpms drop with loss of speed and then engage clutch to let it idle before stop.

Fixitmr