I DRIVE A 1500 4X4 5.9 AND WHEN IN OVERDRIVE IT LOSES A LOT OF ITS POWER AND MAKES A GRINDING NOISE WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?

2001 Dodge Ram • 127,000 miles

Sound comes from the front of the trans and sometimes its sounds like it comes from the differential. It sometimes does this when it is not in overdrive.
Rampageram1500

Does the sound seem to come from the transmission area? Have you checked trans fluid to make sure it is clean and full?

Yes it comes from the transmission area sometimes and very rarely it seems like it comes from the differential. I have checked the fluid and it was clean and full. It usually only does this when in overdrive or when going up a hill.

Rampageram1500
I forgot to mention it isn't and has not thrown any codes because of this problem (yet).

Rampageram1500
Just to add, it sounds like you have a torque converter issue in the trans. The grinding may be the converter itself. Have seen this in the past. Have a trans shop verify this and give you a bid.

Okay, thanks a lot for both of your help. Maybe it will end up just being a torque converter issue. My wallet is wishing that's the case.

Rampageram1500
Good luck