REPLACED FUEL PUMP MAY 18TH, NOW IT WONT START HALF THE TIME AND ACTS LIKE ITS THE FUEL PUMP AGAIN, READ DETAILS PLZZZ

2001 Chevrolet Blazer • 144,200 miles

2001 Blazer LS 2dr 4.3 Vortec 6cyl engine. Replaced bad fuel pump may 18th. Ran fine until tuesday afternoon. My husband and I went on an overnight trip 2 HRS from home and it ran fine the whole way there. About 4 hrs after getn to the hotel we went to go eat and it wouldnt start. It would crank but not turn over and it was like the fuel pump had went out on it all over again. And we listened to see if the fuel pump was kickin on when the key was turned over but couldnt hear ne thing. We made arrangements to be towed home the next morning and when my husband went out to smoke he tried starting it and it fired right up. No prob! He left it running as we pakd QUICKLY and we drove it all the way home non stop with no probs at all! When we bought it a yr n a half ago the guy said the engine light being on was due to an O2 sensor and my husband pulled the codes and just as the guy said it threw the code for an O2 sensor. My husband could clear it and the light would stay off for a few days b4 comin on again. He pulled codes at the hotel that night it wouldnt start and it showed the usual one and also showed a new code for the heated air flow sensor or something like that. Ne ways he cleared the codes and the light came right back on which it had never did before. When it started the nxt morning though the engine light had gone off and never did come back on the entire trip back home. After we were home it startd just fine a few times then it suddenly wouldnt start again. It once again acted like the fuel pump was bad and he couldnt hear the pump kick on. He dropped the gas tank and took the pump out, checked to make sure it was working and it was so he put it back in BUT he hooked it up and put the tank bak just enough to keep it in place but not tighten things down. It started right up when he was done, so he left it like that a day and a half and finished tightening things in place the rest of the way. Then it started a few times no prob and today it stranded him at the store and refused to start again. We can hear the fuel system working next to the fire wall, but we hear nothing coming from the fuel pump again when the key is turned over. Each time it dont start, it will crank as if everything is normal but will not turn over/actually start. Please help us figure out what the problem could be because we cant afford to take it to a shop or even have a shop run a diagnostic on it at this point. Considering my husband is stumped by it and usually he is realllly good at fixing our vehicles (I have a blazer as well thats a 95) im concerned that the problem could be quite serious but more so costly to the point we wont be able to get it fixed. Thank u so much for ur help and I truely hope you can give me an idea of whats goin on.

Sincerely,
Melissa Stephenson
Melrock83

Did he replace the connector which is a common failure? Was it a complete unit or just the pump?

He should stop clearing the engine light and let someone look at the freeze frame data to help determine the failed system clearing the light does nothing as the problem will not fix itself.

It was a complete unit and I been searching online the last few hrs and seen several times where the connector was mentioned as well. I know all he replaced was the fuel pump unit and nothing more so I will for sure mention this to him in the morning. And as for clearing the engine light, I asked two different certified mechanics if we should replace the O2 sensor that the code referred to and both of them said it wouldnt really cause any issues if it was left faulty and we could clear it using the code reader thing. And what is the freeze frame data? Ive never heard of that. And there has never been a problem with the blazer til the fuel pump went bad so that makes me think the issue now is somehow related. So thanks for the info and sorry I have more questions : )

Melrock83
Also.I wanted to ask what the chances are that the new fuel pump could be faulty? Ive heard the fuel pumps made, especially for the 2dr models as we have, arent considered all that great and getting a faulty one is actually quite common.

Melrock83
Freeze frame data is critical data needed by a tech to look at readings at the time of the failure. It gives him a good view of where the problem may be.

Cetified or not, never a good idea to clear light till the problem is actually fixed. Code numbers never identify a bad part, just a failed system.

Problems dont seem to be related. I need a code number to see what they are guessing about.

The connector must be replaced as it fails more than the pump itself.

Yes, the new pump could be bad. A fuel pump pressure test will verify that result.

Ok after talkin to him and us goin out and seeing what we could do. We know that there is no fuel pressure cause when he found the schrader valve there was no fuel that squirted out of it like it would if it had enuf pressure. We can hear the spider make somewhat of a clicking sound and I no that the fuel pump works so I assume that it is getting power. Besides a bad fuel pump what could cause the fuel system to lose fuel pressure?

Melrock83
No, the fuel pump is not working. If there is no fuel at the schraeder valve. Start at the beginning. You need to see if the is any power to that connector and see if it is on both sides. If it is and the ground is good, then you have a failed fuel pump.

There was a lil bit of gas that did come out but not what I no is required. So gas is present. So does that mean the fuel pump is working cause if it wasnt then shouldnt there be absolutely no fuel in the shrader valve at all? And the blazer fan fine with no problems for about 2.5-3 wks after the new fuel pump was installed so we know that it did work properly and the fuel system was functioning the way it should. Or am I just tryin to convince myself that its not the pump itself again cause it was such a hassle? : )

Melrock83
You are trying to convince your self of the real issue.