CADILLAC STS WHEEL PROBLEM

2001 Cadillac STS • 115,000 miles

My caddy is a front wheel drive in very good condition except for the load / low grumbling noise that starts at 20mph or so and getting much loader at 50-60mph. I can feel vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds. Fluid level in transaxle if where if belongs. Have checked the front left wheel and it remains cool after a long drive. I forgot to mention the noise in the car when driving seems to be on the front left hand side.
Mdrob148

The first thing I would check is the wheel bearings do you have a jack and jack stands?

Yes I do

Mdrob148
Put the front of the car on jack stands so the front wheels are off the ground. Then put the car in neutral put one hand on the coil spring and use the other hand to turn the wheel as fast as you can. If the bearing is bad you should be able to feel it in the coil spring. Check both sides and compare them to each other. Let me know what you find.

Saturntech9, I did what you suggested and already have 2 new bearing hubs installed on my car and took care of the problem. So much happier now. Lol Thanks

Mdrob148
Your welcome thats what were here for. Both front wheel bearings were bad?

Yes, the noise inside the car was very loud, annoying. They hadnt fallen apart or anything serious but probably wouldnt have last much longer. Thanks again.

Mdrob148
So sounds like my trick for finding bad wheel bearings worked well.

It sure did and I thank you again.

Mdrob148
No problem.