EXHAUST CAMSHAFT PROBLEMO

2000 Volvo S40 • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 110,000 miles

How do I line up the exhaust camshaft sproket to the camshaft? I removed the camshaft sproket while taking the valve cover off. There is no lineup pins on the camshaft. I just need to know how to line it up. It is a 2000 Volvo S40 1.9 Turbo.

Thanks!
Speeddemon155

Look on the teeth of the cam sprocket for grooves in the center of the teeth. Then there should be markings on the timing cover. Line these up on both sprockets.

Ernest Clark
The only way to do this is with a special tool see pic.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the answers everyone. Mhpautos-after lining up the camshafts on the back do I then turn the exhaust sproket to line up with the front cover?

Speeddemon155
Problem is I don't know the position of the engine when you dismantled it, you can't rotate the cams independently of the crank, if you do turn the cam, you must do very carefully as to much pressure on a valve touching a piston will cause serious damage, do you know the relevant cam, crank positions before dis assembly?

Mhpautos