VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE BODY PROBLEM

2000 Volkswagen Beetle • 135,000 miles

For the most part car runs fine. 1.8 20 valve turbo
has an intermittent problem where it will stall out when you start it and you have to hold pedal partway to keep it running and stall when you are slowing to a stop.
it will correct itself and then run normally in about a mile maybe 2 and then start up fine until the problem returns, the CEL is on for incorrect purge flow which I was told is a bad canister.
the N80 (purge valve) was replaced a few months ago.
when I fill the tank whether it is 2 gallons or 10 you have to hold pedal halfway to get it to start, once started it stays running.
the engine has lots of power so I doubt it is lack of fuel pressure, the only issue with the power is what feels like a dead spot on the throttle, about 1/4 of the way it slows down, go past that and it takes off like a jet, less than a 1/4 and it feels fine too, it is only that one spot, the car has an electronic pedal control not a throttle cable.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Pcdj64

Get some carburetor cleaner and spray down the throttle plates and intake. Then check the idle it may be too low you will need to adjust the idle higher to stop this.

Cadieman
Electronic pedal control, you can't adjust the idle.
Throttle body and intake are clean, was taken care of a few months ago.

Pcdj64
New purge valves can be bad out of the box. The only way fuel vapors will enter the intake manifold during fueling, is if the N80
is sticking open. Have it checked again.

Thomas

Exovcds
The purge valve can solve the fueling issue but I still have the other issues.
I noticed that when it is cold I have no high idle at warm up.
Dead spot on throttle about 1/4 of the way, it will slow down but just a little more pedal and it is fine.
Lots of pickup and power, turbo is working,

the evap issue has been there a while and only caused issues when fueling.

Pcdj64
Today the car ran all day with none of the issues, is it intermittent or did the computer finally calibrate?

Pcdj64