HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TO REPLACE MY WATERPUMP

2000 Saturn SL1 • 45,500 miles

My coolant is not staying in as long as it should. My car starts to run hot after about 35 minutes and when I am stopped at a light that is when my temperature gauge starts to go up to hot
Tbenson1987

Is your radiator fan working? Also if your AC works turn it on does the radiator fan come on with the AC?

Yes the fan is working and when I turn on the act it blows cold and the fan comes on

Tbenson1987
*a/c

Tbenson1987
How high is the gauge getting?Also ia the radiator fan on when the gauge is reading hot?

It stays a little over the half point and if I drive it long periods at a time it starts to hit the red when I'm stopped at lights. Most of the time it will stay at half as long as the car is moving

Tbenson1987
If it will only overheat heat while idling then it sounds like the radiator fan is not working. So the radiator fan that is behind the radiator in the engine compartment turns on with the ac on and blows tons of air?

Whe the air is on the radiator fan does come on.

Tbenson1987
Then I would start by replacing the coolant temp sensor sounds like its not reading correctly and turning the fan on at the correct temo. Also inspect the inside of the connector to it if the terminals are blue or green instead of silver then you will need to replace the connector also.I have reolaced tons of them its a common failure.I have owned my 1999 saturn sl2 for 6 years and have replaced four of them so far.

Ok thanks

Tbenson1987
Keep me posted.