WATER PUMP

2000 Saturn Other • 20,000 miles

00 saturn ls2 v6. The water pump went out n im not sure yet on timing belt. Belt had replaced about 30,000 ago but it dont act like it in time to me. Turns over kind of free. It was drove to where it was sitting. I can see the belt on top n looks good but was told they go bad on the crank pulley n take out the teeth on the belt. Looks like the ruduced power light is trying to be on, not sure what all makes it come on. Was told need special tools for water pump replacement and I know u need them for the belt. These dont look like they r fun to work on. Let me know what u can tell me about these things. One shop I called n uasally have work on what I cant dont have the tools to do this job. Thanks
Lalfan

The V6 L model doesnt need special tools to replace the water pump.

The reason the timing belt jumps on the early V6L model cars is the belt tenisor fails. They moved and redesigned the belt tenisor its a kit belt tenisor/idler block timing belt backing plate. The reason the reduced power light comes on is when there is a failure in the throttle by wire system. You would have to scan the computer for exact code numbers. Its really not that hard to replace the water pump jack the engine up remove the top engine mount upper timing cover etc.

This is the same car I talked to u before when it wouldnt run right and had tranny issues. Maf cured the running problem and the tranny changed filter nfluid and added some lucas tranny additive n its been fine. I guess I will have to check some how that the belt is still ok n try to line up no. 1 cyl to see where its at. Have to take belt cover apart farther. Daughter really liked this car but getting lots of miles but still really dont use oil. Does the aluminum piece come off the front to do the water pump. And it should still start but it really sounded like it didnt have compression

Lalfan
Its been a while since I took one a part I think you have to remove the bracket your asking about. Also the reduced performance light usually doesnt come on from a jumped timing belt it comes on from a failure in the throttle system.I would scan the computer for codes before diging into thr timing belt. Also I wouldnt havent used the lucuas additive in the transmission. Iam not familar with it and could do more harm then good.

Everybody around here swears by the additive. It has shifted n hasnt slipped since. But maybe the filter was enough. Does it sound like a belt problem if it turns over kind of free like no compression. Its been sitting since last fall. Should I try to get covers off n set it up or just watch the belt to see if it turn over when I try to start it

Lalfan
Unless the belt broke the cams etc will turn if the timing jumped then you would be able to tell by cranking the engine and watching the belt. Does it run at all?Also the transmission was slipping before you added the lucas?I know you said I talked to you before but I answer thousands of questions each year on here. If it was slipping then thats caused by a pressure issue/internal leakage issue. Wouldnt be solved by a bottle of additive.

Had my daughter turn it over. The belt n cams turn just fine. It doesnt fire n it just sounds like its turning almost like with no plugs in it. Turns real free n easy. Its had the battery out until now so I cant chech anything from before I guess.

Lalfan
You could the pull the front intake tube pretty easy to do a compression test on the front cylinders.

Finally checked compression. Basicly nothing. Had thirty once. Tried to put some oil in the cylinder to see if it would help seal and make mor compression but didnt help. Think they got it to hot and roasted it. Checked two cylinder, both bad. Transmission from v6 n 4 cyl. Are different correct. Why would a tranny from a 4 banger only work in third. Seen a car somewhat wrecked and thought I could use mine for parts but they say it only works in third gear. Thanks

Lalfan
Two different transmissions and engines in those cars one for the 2.2 and one for 3.0. Just from the info you have given dont know what would cause that would need trouble codes run some tests etc on the transmission.

Page 1 of 2