LS1 ODOMETER QUIT

2000 Saturn Other • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 139 miles

My Saturn LS1, 2000, just went to shop for being stuck in park, when I picked it up the mileage on the odometer had gone from 139,000 to 694,987 and won't turn anymore, speedometer still works. My mechanic says he doesn't know what happened, probably the cluster, please help
Petdoc2b

He is wrong about the cluster the cluster only disply the mileage like a monitor on a computer the body control module figures the miles stores it and displys it on the odometer. Its a very common problem on those cars usually brought on by disconnecting the battery or jump starting the car mainly too low of voltage to the body control module. Its your body control module that is bad not the cluster or odometer. Its really common on that car for the body control module to go bad I have replaced a lot for that very reason and a lot more for other reasons. Usuall once the mileage jumps like that the mileage will show like 20 miles for every mile drive or so instead of a actual mile. You will have to take it to a dealer to have it replaced the new one has to be programed and have the correct mileage programed in. You have to get a new one once the mileage is programed it cannot be changed so the used one has the mileage from the car it came out of. So looks like you have a 2000 ls with a four cylinder engine so the only bcm that will work is a 2000 ls for with the four cylinder. There is two body control modules for each year for the four or six cylinder one other years are not interchangable. Just want to let you know that in case you look for a new one on ebay.

Thank you very much, I will look for a dealer who can replace and not charge me and arm and a leg, if you know of anyone reliable in the Bowie, Maryland area I would appreciate a referral.
Sincerely,
Cindy

Petdoc2b
Unfornately I live here in southern california so I wouldnt know of any place out that way I would check ebay for a new bcm they have been selling a lot of brand new parts on there from all the closed saturn dealers at a big savings.

Thanks again, the problem with checking eBay is that I don't know which part other than BCM I am looking for and since I have checked eBay they have so many different BCM's I have no idea which one I need to buy. If this has gone bad will it cause other issues with the car?

Petdoc2b
I just looked on ebay I didn't see one for your car I found one that sells one for your car if you have the LS1 then you have the 2.2L engine if you have the LS2 then you have the 3.0L engine they have both for a good savings over list price. The other typicial issue from the bcm going bad from what I have seen is crank no starts cant get it out of park fuel and temp gauge inop power door locks and keyless entry inop inside light strobing or flashing also a lot of other strange things going on. Here is that website I was talking about here is the link to the part you need. You just have to choose the 2.2L or 3.0L engine you want.

Thank you, I will go to the link right away!

Petdoc2b
I have the LS1 so it is the 2.2 L engine, may I ask you one more thing? If I buy the part, is it something I could install myself or does it have to be "flashed" by a dealer?

Petdoc2b
You can buy the part and have the dealer put it in you have to have it programed with the correct mileage etc. Its a easy install buy without all tools to program it you just cant do it. But it shows over 400 list price so you could save some money buying it and having them install it. Just dont open the sealed package the bcm comes in when you bring it in for them to install it. You save 178 buying it from the website I posted the link for. That place has some good prices on factory parts.

Thank you, I will buy and contact a dealer, you have been a great help!

Petdoc2b
Your welcome thats what were here for.