CODES

2000 Saturn L100 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 101,000 miles

I have a 00 saturn ls2 wiyh a code p0742. Would like to know what this might amount to. It seems like sometimes it dont want to shift into od when it should. Thanks
Lalfan

So you have the v6 3.0L engine in your car?You said you have a 2000 L100 then you say you have a Ls2 a little confusing.I just want to know what car were talking about so I can give you the correct info.

It is a ls2. The part you click on when you fill this out doesnt have a ls2. Sorry

Lalfan
So do you have any other code's besides the P0742?Iam posting the code description and a bulletin I found for that code.

The Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve (TCC So. Valve) is a pulse width modulated solenoid. When vehicle operating conditions are met for TCC application, the PCM/TCM begins the duty cycle at approximately 42%. The PCM/TCM then increases the duty cycle up to 90% in order to achieve full TCC apply. When the TCC Sol. Valve is de-energized, the solenoid blocks filtered 2-3 drive fluid, and allows TCC signal fluid to exhaust. When energized, the solenoid modulates fluid into the TCC signal fluid circuit. When fully energized, modulation stops, and the solenoid blocks both 2-3 drive fluid and TCC signal fluid exhaust.

The TCC release switch is a normally closed switch. It signals the PCM/TCM the TCC is released. Torque converter release fluid pressure acts on the switch contact, opening the circuit. When the voltage on the circuit is high, the PCM/TCM recognizes the TCC is no longer engaged.

When the PCM/TCM detects the TCC release switch is closed when the TCC is commanded OFF, then DTC P0742 sets. DTC P0742 is a type A DTC.

DTC PARAMETERS

* Engine is running
* TPS greater than 8%
* Trans fluid temperature between 21°C (70°F) and 130°C (266°F).
* Engine torque greater than 40 ft-lbs
* Gear ratio 3rd or 4th
* TCC is commanded OFF
* No TPS, TFP, VSS, ISS codes
* No TCC stuck ON code
* No TCC electrical code
* No TCC release switch code
* No engine torque default
* Time since last manual range change greater than 6 seconds

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect and repair as necessary: * TCC Sol. Valve exhaust restricted.
* TCC Sol. Valve filter plugged.
* TCC control valve stuck in the applied position.
* TCC regulated apply valve stuck in the applied position.
* TCC feed limit valve stuck.
* Pressure regulator valve stuck.
* TCC fluid circuit leaks.
* TCC release switch for damaged or leaking seal, debris in switch, damaged switch contacts, stuck switch contacts.

Bulletin No: 07-07-30-025

Date: October 01, 2007

INFORMATION
Subject: Information On 4T40-E (MN4) and 4T45-E (MN5) Front Wheel Drive Automatic Transmission Valve Body Reconditioning, DTC P0741, P0742, P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P1811, Harsh Shifts, Slips, No Drive, No Reverse

Models: 1997-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
1997-2007 Chevrolet Malibu
2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, HHR
1997-1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass
1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
1997-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2005-2007 Pontiac G6
2007 Pontiac GS
2000-2005 Saturn L-Series
2005-2007 Saturn ION, VUE
2007 Saturn Aura

with Hydra-Matic(R) 4T40-E (RPO MN4) and 4T45-E (RPO MN5) Automatic Transmission

The following new service information outlined in this bulletin will aid technicians in providing easy to follow valve body reconditioning instructions and new illustrations to simplify reassembly of the valve body. The service bulletin will also provide additional service information documents that are related to the 4L6x transmission family.

Related Service Documents

PIP 3253B - No Move Drive or Reverse

02-07-30-039F - Firm Transmission Shifts

02-07-30-050 - Engineering Change Valve Body

If valve body cleaning is not required, Do Not disassembly bores unless it is necessary to verify movement of valves.

Inspection Procedure

Using the exploded views in this bulletin, inspect each bore for freedom of valve(s) movement and evidence of debris. Pay particular attention to those valves related to the customer's concern.

Verify movement of the valves in their normal installed position. Valves may become restricted during removal or installation. This is normal due to small tolerances between the valves and bores.

If a valve is restricted and cannot be corrected by cleaning valve and bore, then replace valve body. Describe restricted valve on repair order.
Be sure all solenoids are installed with the electrical connectors facing the non-machined (cast) side of the valve body; otherwise, the solenoids will bind against the transmission case as the valve body bolts are
tightened and damage may occur.

Disassembly/Reassembly

If a valve is restricted by a metal burr from machining that bore, remove valve and burr, then inspect movement in the valve's normal position. If no other debris or restrictions are found, then reassemble valve body and install in the transmission.

If the valve body has been contaminated with debris from another transmission component failure, then disassemble all bores for complete cleaning of all valve body components. If possible keep individual bore parts separated for ease of reassembly. Use the following illustrations in this bulletin for a positive identification and location of individual parts:

Only other code for trans was a code for park neutral switch tha t I think is on top of trans. Is most of the parts in the valve body or everywhere in the transmission. It did seem to have a little slip sometimes my daughter said. I see it has a little leakage on some lines that come out the front side. Not sure how bad. Dont know when the filter has been changed last. So could be electrical parts mostly.

Lalfan
The solenoid's are in the valve body under the side cover of the transmission. It could be a bad solenoid or plugged solenoid. The neutral safety switch is on top of the transmission connected to the shift cable. What is the exact code number for that switch?The fluid on that car should be changed every 50,000 mile's.I would drop the transmission pan to see how much debris in the pan. Also look for shinny flake's that would be metal debris. You have to have the fluid drained to pull the side cover off as well so keep that in mind.

The code for the switch is p1780. I have a cheap book that does not cover transmissions. So I have to take a side cover off for the valve body. I will have to look cause I dont even know what side at this point. Im going to a junk yard tommorrow and thought about trying to pull one. Worst problem is not knowing what I will get. Is it hard to get one out and does anything fall out when you remove them. So I dont loose anything. Have never worked on one like this, just older cars. Will have to put in new filter and fluid and hope for the best. Should be able to get a different switch for on top. Give me any info or diagrams you can on this project if you would. Thanks craig

Lalfan
I have replaced very few valve body's on those car's it's usually a bad solenoid or some debris. If you take off the valve body there spring's etc that will go everywhere. The side cover is on the drivers side it's pretty big hard to miss.I would start by seeing how much debris in the pan and go from there.

Circuit Description

The engine control module (ECM), transaxle control module (TCM), and the body control module (BCM) communicate with each other over the controller area network (CAN) BUS circuits 2500 and 2501. The CAN BUS is a communications protocol that is used by the TCM to communicate vital engine control inputs from a stand-alone engine controller. The diagnostic checks the information received in CAN to determine whether to pass or fail a code. Before checking the information, the TCM makes sure the CAN messages are being received by checking the BUS failure timer.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

DTC P1779, P1791, P1792 or P1795 will set if the TCM did not receive a needed engine parameter over the CAN BUS from the ECM when: * Engine speed is greater than 500 rpm for 5 seconds and not at fuel cutoff.
* System voltage between 8 and 18 volts.

Diagnostic Aids

* This code does not indicate a problem with the TCM. It does indicate the ECM is not sending the required information to the TCM.
* Check for and diagnose any DTCs stored in the ECM related to the ECT, pedal position or TP sensor circuits.
* Check for any DTCs stored in the EBTCM related to the torque reduction/request circuit.

This DTC indicates that a transmission related OBD II failure has occurred. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) controls a dedicated Service Transmission Lamp (STL) which illuminates when a fail is reported by certain non-emissions related TCM diagnostics. The TCM has no direct control of the engine MIL, but if a transmission fault occurs that is emissions related, the engine MIL must illuminate. A MIL request circuit between the ECM and the TCM provides a means for illuminating the MIL, even though the fault was detected by the TCM. This circuit is pulled up to B+ within the ECM. In order to illuminate the MIL, the TCM pulls the circuit low. The ECM detects this and DTC P1780 is set, which illuminates the MIL. DTC P1780 indicates that the ECM has a detected a problem with the MIL Request Circuit.

DTC PARAMETERS
For this code to set, the engine has to be cranking, and the MIL request circuit has to be shorted to ground, open, or shorted to battery voltage. The condition has to be set for 2.5 seconds.

DTC P1780 is a (type B) DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
When attempting to diagnose an intermittent problem, use the Scan tool to review freeze frame/failure record diagnostic information. This supplemental data can be used to duplicate a problem.

Check for poor connections at the ECM or the TCM and for a damaged harness.

So I should take the bottom pan and do a filter and fluid change first. O r take the side cover off to and clean. If you change any solenoids do you have to take the valve body off? Does any additives to the fluid do any good or is that a bad thing to do. Do they make gaskets for all these covers.

Lalfan
The first thing I would do is like I said remove the transmission pan and look for debris/metal if there is metal you have bigger problem's. There is a gasket filter kit you can get for that pan plan on taking the pan and side cover off the same day or you will end up wasting 7qts of fluid. The side cover gasket is reusable you don't have to remove the valve to replace solenoid's there held in with U shaped clips. Also if you not good at fixing car's don't attempt to remove the side cover etc. Follow the bulletin for code P0742 I posted earlier.

I went to school in 79 & 80 but these cars are a little different. Is it possible to buy solenoids for these. I hear they are not making any parts. Do you have any diagrams that show the solenoids in case I have to get that far. Or something I can get on that would show them and print off maybe. Thanks

Lalfan
Page 1 of 7