MY STEERING COLUMN COLLAPSED WHILE DRIVING IN DRIVEWAY

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix • 100,000 miles

My steering column collapsed while driving in driveway. It fell out from underneath vehicle. What can be done to fix it? Thanks.
Rio3800

U lost a sub frame bolt go to salage yard and got 1.

Cadieman
Thanks for reply, is there reason how those bolts would fall out or lose? Thanks.

Rio3800
You lost more than one. Have you had work done to the front of the recently? You have lost both rear cradle bolts- And I will bet this has also destroyed the joint between the steering rack and column. Get both rear frame mounts new, as well as the bolts and washers. This is money well spent, imagine what a mess this would have been at freeway speed! If the steering wheel just spins freely, you will probably need to replace the lower steering shaft as well. There is no reason these should have come loose under normal service. Let me know how this goes for you, Doc

DocDTC
Some1 didnt install those craddle bolts properly.

Cadieman
Brought car used about year ago, I thought I got good deal. If I could tell by checking that this could happen before buying this, This would of never happened. Thanks all. I am currently having someone look on this issue and will post my results.

Rio3800
Hello again. My friend came over and he used his alldata software. Based on what we saw is "Intermediate steering shaft" is gone. We are are confused on where brakets and bolts go. It appears that we need to jack underneath frame area. Anybody knows where brackets and bolts go? Thanks.

Rio3800
When u jack the sub frame back up.U can realign the 2 ends of the steering knuckle and when u lift the subframe back up. Take and put the knuckle back togeather as u lift the sub frame. Then install the new bolts.

Cadieman