THERMOSTAT

2000 Pontiac Grand Am • 250,000 miles

Would you be so kind as to advise me how much the mechanic would cost to replace the thermostat on the 2000 Pontiac grand am parts and labour, do you have to take out the intake manifold (2 1/2 hours labour) to get to the thermostat?
JD444

What engine do you have?

V6

JD444
What they are telling you is correct. The part should be around 10.00 and then you will need to replace the coolant. I would recommend that you have the cooling system flushed at the same time you do the thermostat.

Thank you.

JD444
Glad to help.

You know, I was thinking about your vehicle and the more I thought, forced me to look up the directions in the manual for the 3.4L V6. The shop has to remove the cross over pipe, but not the entire intake. Here are the directions from a manual: 3.4L Engine
Drain the cooling system.
Remove the air cleaner.
Remove exhaust crossover pipe.
Disconnect the surge tank line fitting from the coolant outlet.
Remove the thermostat housing to intake manifold bolts.
Remove the thermostat housing outlet and thermostat
Clean the mating surfaces.

To install: Install the thermostat and housing outlet.
Install the thermostat housing bolts. Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 18 ft. Lbs. (25 Nm).
Install exhaust crossover pipe.
Connect the surge tank line fitting to the coolant outlet. Tighten the fittings to 15 ft. Lbs. (21 Nm).
Install the air cleaner.
Fill the cooling system.
Inspect the system for leaks.

I hope this helps.