NISSAN MAXIMA COOLANT PROBLEM

2000 Nissan Maxima • 278,000 miles

Your question: "I am moving and my car has a blown head gasket. It is getting transported on a truck with another one of my cars. How can I make sure the oil will not get coolant back into it if I change the oil just so can drive it on and off a trailer. I have drained the radiator as of now. I will get car fixed when it gets to distination.

Coolant leaking into the engine oil is one of the less common ways a head gasket will leak. If the cooling system is not full it isn't going to build any pressure and no coolant will get forced into the oil return passages. If the leak is between an oil pressure passage that will force oil into the cooling system, not the other way.

It is good to change the oil when coolant is in it because antifreeze will melt the first layer of the soft engine bearings.