AC EVAPORATOR QUESTION

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 150,000 miles

Hi there, I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse. The ac no longer works. I took it for an inspection yesterday and after charging the system and testing it with the sniffer they couldn't find anything, however the car usually loses all refrigerant after 2 hours of recharge. I mentioned this to him and he very dismissively said it must be the evaporator. After looking on this site and the rest of the web I'm noticing that no one seems to want to take the time to show a removal/install process for the evaporator. I'm sure there is a great reason. I'm just curious why, and then I wonder: If AC is so difficult to diagnose and so expensive to repair, should I just get another car?

Discharging after 2 hours means the leak is bad and I see no reason why the person the job could not provide any conclusive answers.

EVAPORATOR ASSEMBLY

Removal & Installation

1. Discharge A/C system, using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. Disconnect drain hose. Remove refrigerant lines and "O" rings from firewall side of evaporator. Remove glove box stopper and glove box. See Fig. 14. Remove
corner trim panel. Remove glove box under frame.

2. Remove right console side cover. Remove ABS control unit cover and bracket. Remove harness protector (if equipped). Disconnect evaporator electrical connectors. Unbolt and remove evaporator case. To install, reverse removal procedure. Evacuate, charge, and leak test A/C system.