INTERMITTENT PROBLEM WITH STARTING AND EXTREME GAS FUMES

2000 Isuzu Trooper • 190,000 miles

Have had this since it was at about 160K. Check engine light always on. Temporarily fixed when dealt with a clogged egr valve. Has always had extremely strong gas fumes, especially in hot weather. Occasionally have issues in hot weather with slow/no acceleration then when it jumps forward and rpms drop, slow acceleration again. Now having issue of it not starting off and on. Leaning towards an issue with a connection from the ecu to throttle body or a short in wires but unable to find a wiring diagram to identify exactly which wires to focus on. Any help is appreciated.
Mailegray

First have codes read then post will advise

Docfixit
Will do. I know in the past there was a P0140 for an exhaust recirculation issue and one for a random misfire.
In the meantime, are you able to provide a copy of the electrical wiring diagram showing the ecu and throttle body connections?

Mailegray
140 is faulty HO2S no.2 bank 1 most likely chaffed wiring but if light on constant then O2 may need replacing. This will cause gas smell and other issues

Docfixit
What is the best way to check the sensors? I have a diagram showing the location of all 4 sensors (its for a 2002 but I don't imagine there's much difference). Do you have any rough idea of what the sensors cost? Wondering if it would be worth just replacing all 4 and seeing if that makes any difference. Would faulty 02sensor by any chance cause the issue of it not wanting to start? A mechanic also suggested checking the evap canister - haven't done that yet as until we had the diagram, we couldn't find it. It's not where we thought it should be.

Mailegray
I was able to get codes. Hope these help point us in the right direction. There were 13 total: P0420, P0401, P1404, P0402, P1125, P1295, P1340, P0300, P0137, P0420P, P1404P, P0402P, P0300P.

Mailegray
Way too, many codes try this clear all codes then runn recheck see what resets

Docfixit
For me sounds like it needs reflashing all those codes