REPLACING SPARK PLUGS ON

2000 Hyundai Sonata • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

What would be the easiest and most economical way to change the spark plugs on 2000 hyundai sonata v6? In order to change the three rear plugs can the manifold be raised without disturbing anything else and with out messing up the gasket?
What is the best way to approach this?

LENNY KEARNS

Yes, the easiest way to get to the plugs is by removing the upper intake (called an air surge tank). However, you can NOT reuse the gasket. Also, take pictures of everything before removal so you can see how things go back. Here's the procedure for removal: AIR INTAKE SURGE TANK
REMOVAL

1. Remove the air intake hose connected to the throttle body.

2. Remove the accelerator and cruise control cables.
3. Remove the engine coolant hose.

4. Remove the P.C.V. Hose and brake booster vacuum hoses.
5. Disconnect the vacuum hose connections.
6. Remove the ISA, TIPS and ATS connector.
7. Remove the surge tank stay.
8. Remove the air intake surge tank and surge tank gasket.

Ernest Clark
I would not refer this as a surge tank, this is more in line with a radiator surge tank, correct reference is a inlet plenum chamber or even just an inlet manifold, I do agree that taking a few pics or making notes as you go along is a big advantage, I still do this with something I have never work on and I have been doing this for 37 odd years.

Mhpautos