I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT`S CAUSING THE NOISE BEHIND MY FRONT NEARSIDE WHEEL.

2000 Ford Focus • 112,000 miles

I have a ford focus and when I turn the steering wheel i`m getting a grinding type of noise around the front nearside of the car coming from just behind the wheel, but have no idea what could be causing it. It drives fine other than when the I turn the wheels on about a three quarter lock or more, any help would be appreciated.
Markcfc

It could be a couple things. Check the brakes and wheel bearing. See if the noise changes when you use the brakes. Also, there is a backing plate behind the rotor. Make sure it didn't rust and is now rubbing the rotor.

I`m getting no noise when braking or driving in general just when the steering is turned.

Markcfc
Will it make the noise with the steering turned, engine running and not driving? Or is it only when in motion?

Mhpautos
When I turn the wheels with the car stationary I hear a noise like something is catching the bodywork, then when the car is moved and straightened out it sounds like it`s releasing the bodywork and grinding at the same time.

Markcfc
Not a mudflap hitting the wheel?

Mhpautos
I`ll check that but I think it sounds more like some type of joint, thanks mhpautos, just hope your diagnosis is right, it will makes things a lot easier Lol.

Markcfc