MY POWER WINDOWS OR MOON ROOF WONT WORK

2000 Ford Explorer • 211,000 miles

While attempting to change bulbs in map lights that hadn't been working I shorted out and now power windows and moonroof won't operate. I cannot find proper fuse to check
Kenteth

CHECK YOU FUSES AND FUSIBLE LINKS

YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL AND THE FUSE BOX COVERS MAY CLUE YOU ONTO WHICH ONES TO GO AFTER WITHOUT "BLINDLY" SNATCHING THEM ALL OUT

THE OWNER'S MANUAL MAY ALSO SHOW THE "BOX" LOCATIONS. MAY HAVE ONE UNDER THE HOOD AS WELL AS SOME IN THE COCKPIT

That is just the problem. The only connection shown in the owners manual is the large fuse under the hood. It seems fine. The fuse box in the dash defines nothing that seem to connect to windows or roof, unless it is in code.

Kenteth
OK. SEEMS FINE?

GOT ANOTHER JUST LIKE IT, SO YOU CAN SWAP 'EM OUT AS A TEST?

I DON'T MEAN A LARGER AMP ONE OR A SMALLER AMP ONE.I MEAN "IT'S EXACT TWIN"

SIMPLY TEST IT

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DIGITAL VOLTMETER. NOW'S THE TIME TO GET ONE!

AT "HARBOR FREIGHT" HAS 'EM FOR ABOUT $5--ABOUT $20 AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS (I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO DO A CONTINUITY TEST W/PICS. IF WE NEED TO GO THERE)

. HOWEVER A 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT WILL DO FOR NOW

$2-$5 AT A AUTO/HARDWARE STORE

A TEST LIGHT HAS "IT'S PLACE", IT SPEEDS SOME TESTING UP---BUT DOES NOT SHOW "ACTUAL VOLTAGE" AS NEEDED FOR SOME OTHER TESTING

BASICALLY IT SHOWS POWER IS PRESENT ON WHATEVER IS BEING TESTED

SEE MY PIC

IT CAN ALSO BE USED TO TEST AUTOMOTIVE FUSES WITHOUT REMOVING THEM. THE LIGHT IS QUICK VERIFICATION, WHEREAS YOU WOULD HAVE TO WATCH THE VOLTMETER TO SEE THE READINGS (SLOWER). THERE ARE A FEW GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW WHEN DOING THIS TO GET GOOD RESULTSIF A FUSE BOX IS EZ ACCESSIBLE, ALL FUSES MIGHT BE TESTED IN A FEW MOMENTS.I'LL EXPLAIN THAT PROCESS IF WE NEED TO GO THERE

I MAY BE ABLE TO GET YOU SOME WIRE DIAGRAMS OF THE SYSTEMS IN YOUR RIG THAT YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLES WITH. LET ME KNOW IF THEY ARE NEEDED

THEY SHOULD SHOW EVERYTHING THAT IS ALONG THE WAY. FUSES, CIRCUIT BREAKERS, FUSIBLE LINKS. MAYBE BODY MODULES. MAYBE COMPUTER CRAP?

THE LATER 2 POSSIBILITIES ARE OUTTA MY GRASP.I CAN GIVE YOU THE DIAGRAMS AND ASSIST WITH "REGULAR ISSUES"

WE'LL SEE WHAT COMES UP---IF IT GET TO THAT POINT

WHAT ARE YOUR RESULTS NOW?

Had to get to work, started pulling and checking. Found bad fuse. I will invest in voltmeter. Thanks for your help.

Kenteth
WONDERFUL!

MAYBE YOU GOT IT!

HOPEFULLY IT WAS A GLITCH AND YOU DON'T HAVE A SHORT TO FIND NOW

IF YOU STILL NEED ME, LET ME KNOW WHAT THE FUSE CONTROLLED, I'LL SEE IF I CAN FIND A WIRE DIAGRAM FOR THAT SYSTEM FOR YOU THAT MIGHT SHOW POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR IT BLOWING