VIBRATING SOUND

2000 Ford Expedition • V8 2WD Automatic • 100,000 miles

I hear some rumbling or vibrating sound when I turn on ignition switch it usually last about 10 to 15 second and I can feel it coming from the right front portion of my ford expedition 2000 is it normal? Or does it need some checking?
Rholando

Pop the hood and try to find the source of the noise before it quits. You might also consider having a mechanic listen to it. If you have anti-lock brakes, you might be hearing the pump replenish any pressurized brake fluid that may have leaked down. There might also be a pump for an automatic load-leveling system that's running.

On many vehicles the load-leveling pump won't run if a door is open so you might try leaving your door open to see if the noise is still heard. On some anti-lock brake systems the power brake assist comes from the pressurized brake fluid. Pumping the brake pedal a dozen times will deplete the pressure and the pump will turn on again and run for about ten seconds to build the pressure back up.

Hi caradiodoc it seems to be the automatic load-leveling, as soon as I hear the rumbling sound I immediately open the door and it surely stopped then the sound resume when I close the door, it does finish its leveling, so I guess its a normal sound? Is frequent leveling normal?

Rholando
It is common for the system to do its thing each time you start the engine, but they do cause a real lot of headaches for people. The system will run also to raise the back end in response to how ever many dead bodies you have in there. When it starts to run repeatedly, one of the air springs or plastic hose going to it has a leak. Those can be fixed but it can take a while to find some leaks.

When the pump fails, and it will, you'll be in for a shock at the cost of repair, assuming the parts are still available. Most people elect to remove the system and install regular coil springs.

I see, but when it fails will there be other parts damage with it will I still have an option to remove it and replace it with a regular coil spring?

Rholando
Usually the pump motor dies or one of the air springs pops a leak, then the rear of the car sits too low. No other damage normally occurs.