FORD EXPEDITION ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Ford Expedition • 72,386 miles

Hi. I just stumbled across your web site. I am a single mom and was driving to work this morning and when I was slowing down for a red light, my car just stalled and my battery light came on. It freaked me out, so I hurried, put it in park and restarted my car. It happened again 2-3 times in just a block's radius before getting into the hospital security garage at work. For about a week, when I would stop the idle was acting really funny. It would go up and then way down like it would stop but I just thought it was the cold weather, so I would put it in neutral and just gas it. Now, it's snowing and I am so scared this is going to happen in this snow storm on the way home tonight causing an accident or something. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Of note, the battery has been going dead for the past 6-months or so when I leave to go to work. My dad said it's because I leave my cell phone in my car over night to charge. I've stopped and so far so good but now this! Also, my check engine light came on when my car stalled this a.M. And hasn't shut off. I know my car is old but it still has pretty low mileage for a '00 and no car payment. I know zilch about cars but to renew tags. I would really appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you have a great day.
Bren =)

The clue is the Check Engine light. If it stays on while the engine is running, there is a diagnostic fault code stored in the Engine Computer. Your mechanic will read that code for a starting point. That will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. It's more important now to not allow the battery to run dead. Doing so will erase that code and that valuable information will be lost.