FIAT PUNTO HEATER PROBLEM

2000 Fiat Punto • 815,000 miles

My heater stopped working for 1 week so I purchaced new thermostat and fitted it within another 2 weeks. After fitting all was well, heater and demister all working well. For about 3 weeks or so then it started. When I stopped at traffic lights or was in a traffic jam the heater would go cold and would not heat up until I started to drive with revs around 2000 this went on for afew weeks going cold then heating up again. Then it stopped heating up again and is now back to no heater again. The temp gauge indicates half way up on meterengine runs well and does not overheat. Is there a possibility that the temp control knob is not selecting properly. Would appreciate any sugestions.

bill burke
Wfburke

FEEL BOTH HEATER HOSES AS THEY ENTER THE FIREWALL TO THE HEATER CORE----INSURE THE VEHICLE IS UP TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE----AY THE SAME TIME, WHEN NO HEAT IS BLOWING OUT OF THE HEATER

HOW HOT ARE THEY? (CAN'T COMFORTABLY HANG ONTO ONE---BARELY WARM---COOL)

ONE HOT--ONE NOT?

REACH OVER AND FEEL THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE. IS IT HOT?

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS!

REPORT YOUR FINDINGS

This with engine temp from mid to 3/4 on gauge. Top hose very hot could not wrap hand around and hold. Bottom hose cold. These 2 hoses seem to be connected with a double fitting with screw on top.I think poss. A bleed screw. The hot hose feels not hard but not easy to squeeze. If it dint get hot at both sides of the fitting I would think it could be blocked. Do you need a image.

Hope this helps bill Burke

Wfburke