FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT

2000 Chevrolet Suburban • V8 4WD Automatic • 140,000 miles

I have a 2000 Chevy suburban 1500, 4wd, 5.3. Trying to replace the fuel pump with a MU1618 AC/Delco. It won't fit! It is 1/4" too long, even when fully compressed. That's why the first replacement failed. The wire connector from the fuel pump rubbed against the wire connector which leaves the tank. Broke the wires. This pump appears to be build with not enough clearance. I am out of ideas besides trying to solder the wires to the fuel pump, thus eliminating the connector. I'm really stuck. Any ideas?
IndianaMark

Here is a picture of my pump with the problem. When the pump is fully compressed (which is required for installation), the wires on the "teal" colored connectors rub against each other.

IndianaMark
It could be the wrong part number. There is another part number for vehicles with the "robust fuel" option which is MU1443. Yours is for all except that option. It would have a RPO code of "K53"

Wrenchtech
I am pretty sure the MU1618/GM19153716 is the correct part. VIN is 3GNFK16T2YG165574 I will have them pull a MU1443 and look and measure it. I actually found a replacement tank at a salvage yard today. I has 1/2" clearance more than my current tank. Installed the pump. Re-crimped the wire to the connector. Works perfectly. The question is: Can a tank actually "warp" or "move" that much so the pump does not have the proper clearance. The Surburban is generally in the garage and has spent all of it's life in Indiana. No excessive heat.

IndianaMark
Closing question

Wrenchtech