DASH LIGHTS AND HEATER FAN

2000 BMW 528 • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 80,000 miles

2000 BMW 528i, anti lock brake light on, already changed the sensor, also heater/ac fan not working (fuses not checked yet)
Ed Lubowiecki

The DSC issue (antilock brake) is very possibly the control unit and is disguising the fault with false fault codes. The fan is very possibly the final stage unit has failed and will require replacement.64116923204 is the part number for the final stage unit and it can be viewed at Realoem. Com as can the DSC control unit, however the DSC module, if new, will require coding to work correctly. You might consider a used unit for replacement, one can be had at Autobahn dismantling in El Cajon Ca. (619)444-2290 Let me know what you come up with as your choice.

Dr. Hagerty
Dr. Hagerty,
Thanks for the reply. Where are the blower fan fuses / fuse located. Number 76 and 77 according to the key in the fuse block located in the glove box. The heater blower fuses are not there nor are they in the right wheel well in the trunk near the battery. Also where is the final stage unit located?

Also, if I get a used anti lock brake control unit, do I need to get the codes removed by a pro. Is this procedure only for a brand new part? Your
initial response is clear, but I am just double checking.

Thank You,

Ed Lubowiecki

Lubolink
You are quite correct in your determination to be sure, and I commend you my friend. The fuses are in the trunk, on the right side behind the cover, but It is most certainly the final stage unit that is causing the fan to be inoperative, believe me, I have never seen it be the fuse.
The DSC unit is plug and play for a known good used unit. If replaced with a new part, it will require coding to the car. Is this the information you needed to move forward?

Dr. Hagerty
I've seen where the DSC unit is and it doesn't look too difficult to change. For the sake of argument, fuse number 76 and 77 are not in the right rear wheel well unless they are well hidden. The key for the fuses back there is right on the wheel well cover, 76 and 77 are not listed. What a mystery?

Anyway I'm going with your expertise that the fan problem is the final stage unit. Where is this culprit located?

Thank You,

Ed Lubowiecki

Lubolink
In the passenger footwell area. It will require removal of the carpet trim(there is a Phillips screw in the midst of the trim piece) and the plastic under the glovebox which pulls out. The module is often behind a wad of foam, discard the foam and the module is seen wi=th the 5 wire connector attached to it.

Dr. Hagerty
Related Information
Categories
Troubleshooting
How to repair
How does it work?

Question
Asked on December 13, 2010
2000 BMW 528i with 82,000 miles
6 cyl 2.8 litre Manual 2 Wheel Drive

2000 BMW 528i DSC control unit, Final Stage unit
The final stage unit number you gave me is for a resistor according to BMW of Watertown. I have removed the panel under the glove box and have not found foam rubber as you described, but a square white plastic panel with 3 plugs. One large in the middle and two much smaller on each side. What does this resistor look like and where exactly does it go?

Also the DSC unit looks easy enough to unscrew with the torque screws (6). How does the large horizontal din plug get removed? I don't see any snap tabs on the ends. It looks like a small screw driver can be inserted into one end, but I don't want to pry and break something. It almost seems like there would be a screw from underneath or something else holding this so securely. Again, this is a 2000 528i. Can you please help again?

Thank You,
Ed Lubowiecki

Lubolink
64116923204 is the final stage unit, BMW of whatever can call it anything they want. Realoem. Com has a great exploded view, it will let you see what it looks like. It goes into the lower right corner of the heater box. There is a 5 wire connector in it. The DSC connector has a cam lock so there is a slider piece that is pulled or pried out(probably the part you mentioned) and the connector pulls up, out is 90 degrees up is straight away from the DSC module.

Dr. Hagerty