RUNNING HOT

1999 Volkswagen Jetta • 144,000 miles

I have a 1999 volkswagon jetta wolfsburg edition 2.0 runs great last week I replaced the Mass air flow sensor and it runs great except it runs hot due to the water in the little reservoir running out all the time. I filled it up last night and it seems to be losing water somewhere. And why does this car only have a small little area to put water in?
Mesanto

Because that's the way they designed it.

There are many reasons that it might run warm.
Too lean.
Clogged radiator.
Rust buildup in the water jacket.
Failing water pump.
Obstructed radiator.

Just to name a few.

Rivermikerat
Ok thanks where would I start to get the radiator checked myself as far as the in the water jacket? Whats that? When you say to lean what is that refering to? Any help is greatly appreciated

Mesanto
If you cant see or smell where your losing water it may be burning out the exhaust. In that case you have gasket issues with engine or internal cracks.

Fixitmr
Too lean means the air-fuel ratio is incorrect-not enough fuel for the mass of air.
The water jacket is the path inside the engine block that the coolant flows through.
You can try and kill 2 birds with one stone by performing a power flush on the cooling system. Remove the thermostat, replace the housing, and use pressurized water through the cooling system. Just make sure you collect the old coolant, since in many places it is a crime to allow it to run into the sewers.

As fixitmr mentioned, do you have any white smoke coming out the exhaust? The best way to locate a leak is to pressure test the cooling system. You should be able to rent or borrow a tester from a parts store.

Rivermikerat
Thanks guys well today when I looked at it I put some water in it than I had to take the car on a drive to the dentist. No problems at all the car did not over heat the gauge the other night would go back and forth almost all the way to the right than it would make its ways back to the center where its usually at. But today it stayed right in the middle and when I got back home I checked the fluid in the tank and all the water was still there. I will keep an eye on it and keep my eye on it !

Mesanto
I changed the mass air flow sensor last week as well I put in a remanufactured one that I got from auto zone

Mesanto
Let us know if the new MAF sensor fixes the air-fuel ratio problem.

Rivermikerat
I am assuming it is cause the car idles much better and does not stall at all anymore. It put a fix on my wallet $115.00 OUCH

Mesanto
Much better than replacing injectors, though. Or a fuel pump. Have a Happy Holidays and thanks for keeping us apprised.

Rivermikerat
Ok I have to ask cause it just dont look right on my main serpentine belt looks to be off the what ever its called I have attached a picture here hopefully it will help out. Where the belt come around on top there is a round device that I am assuming keeps the belt inline but on part of the belt is on that round device is that normal? Do I need to adjust it? It seems to be ok the car seems to be ok with it the way it is. Here is the picture I took of it this morning hope it helps out

Mesanto
Page 1 of 2