MY CAR WILL START UP FINE THEN AFTER A FEW MINUTES OOF DRIVING DIES.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta • 145,000 miles

My car will start up just fine then I start driving it a few minutes and it starts idling alittle high then it dies and I have to wait for about 20 minutes for it to start again then it will do it again. Can you tell me what it might be?
Patty40

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Patty40, did you get this figured out and fixed?

Rivermikerat
Yes it turns it it was a sensor problem. Thanks for your help.

Patty40
Our pleasure. Tell your friends about us. Closing thread.

Rivermikerat