CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, CANISTER VALVE?

1999 Toyota Corolla • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 75,000 miles

I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla with about 75K miles on it. Several weeks ago, the CHECK ENGINE light went on. I took it into a shop immediately. They said that the "canister valve" went bad and it'd cost $400 to replace it. Said it was a common problem with Toyota's and though it would have no effect on driving, I'd fail emissions. I thought it over for about a week, then suddenly the light turns off. Thought I'd dodged the problem, but then a week later, the light turns on again. This time, I was worried because I realized that my inspection sticker had a big 7 on it, meaning it was due at the end of July. I waited another week. The light turned off! I immediately took it to an inspection station and passed. A few more days pass and light turns back on. I honestly don't remember whether the light is on or off right now, but I'd like to know how serious a problem this is or if I should just wait it out. I read somewhere that it might have to do with a loose gas cap, so that's the first thing I tried: I bought a new gas cap. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Rramaiah

Go to autozone and have the computer scanned for code/s for free and comeback with it-- if any present post them -we start here

Here's what the Autozone reports said (there were two): P0446 - Evaporative emission control system vent control circuit fault
Causes: - Open or short circuit condition
- Poor electrical connection
- Faulty CCV vent control solonoid

P0441 - Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow
Causes: - Leak in EVAP system
- Blocked EVAP purge line
- FAulty purge VSV

Rramaiah
Get it smoke tested

Not sure what that is, but is it similar to what would be done during an emissions inspection? Because it passed that while the CE light was off for a few days.

Rramaiah
Thought I'd get more than just one-word answers from this site. Please refund my payment.

Rramaiah
You have a problem within the Evaporative emission control system, try having it smoke tested this will tell where its leaking.