IS THERE ANY TRICKS TO LINING UP THE TIMING MARKS ON THE CAMSHAFT AFTER THE TIMING BELT IS REINSTALLED?

1999 Toyota Camry • 157,000 miles

Ok The best way I can describe it is after I get the timing belt installed, the tension set, then turn the crank the 2 revolutions clockwise the camshaft timing mark does not line up again, it is about a 1/4" from making the full revolution and lining back up. This is a 1999 camry with 2.2I4. Just wondering if there is something I am missing because I have followed the manual step by step and the camshaft not realigning.
Ianjohnson1

When markings are lined up, during installation of belt, you would need to make allowances for the belt slack.

After making 2 turns, which is not lining up? We use the notch of the sprocket to make comparisons. Count how many notches it is off and when you repeat, make the allowances by turning the camshaft the forward or backwards the required notches.

The new timing belt should have markings for the various marks, using them would be the fastest and most accurate.

Alright well I what you said and I was able to get everything lined up perfectly and the car started no problem other than the dead battery. Here is my big concern, I replaced all major components underneath the timing cover with the exception of the oil pump and power steering pump. The car was making a sound that appeared to be coming from the timing cover area. It sounded like a bad bearing and something tapping against the cover. I was told by several people about these cars and that the tensioner would go bad and make this type of sound and that the water pump was making the tapping sound. As it turns out both components were indeed bad. After I got everything back together I started the car and I am still hearing the same tapping sound. The sound will at times stop and then start again and sometimes I do not hear it until I rev the engine a little to around 2000 RPM then it will start. Other times it is making the sound as soon I start it. Any advice would be a great help. Thank you for the info you have offered so far.

Ianjohnson1
Most likely the valve lifters are making the noise you described if it is coming from top of engine. Have the valve clearances checked.