I CAN NOT FIND THE RIGHT INFORMATION FOR LINING UP THE TIMING MARKS ON THIS ENGINE.

1999 Toyota Camry • 195,000 miles

There are two marks on the camshaft seal cover. One is a straight line up and down at what I would call the top. The other is a dimple like a center punch mark counter clockwise from the first about 20 deg.

Also the marks for aliening the two camshaft gears is as clear as mud. The intake has two large dots about 30 deg apart. The exhaust has a double center punch mark and two single center punch type in different places. Could you help enlighten me on how to line all of these up?
Raymondwebster

Refer to diagram

Sorry, I sent the wrong diagram.

There are 2 diffferent types of markings depending on year and 1998/1999 sometimes overlaps so I have included both.

This image I found already. It does not help clear up the two different timing marks that this hold could line up to.

Raymondwebster
Look carefully at the diagram. The two marks are different between front and rear camshaft.

I am including two images. One of the Camshaft bearing cap with the two marks I see there. The other is the two camshaft gears and the marks I see on them. This is for a 2.2 liter 4 cyl. Engine which does not have two camshaft sprockets.

Raymondwebster
You did not have the spokes on the cam sprocket so I do not understand what marks are you refering to. I have enlarged the diagram for you. If you are still not sure, you would have to remove the central bolt and get the key-way to be at top for the correct mark.

You are showing me the dual overhead cam v6 engine not the dual overhead cam 4 cylinder 2.2 liter engine. There is only one cam sprocket on the 4 cylinder engine. I was trying to show the marks I see behind the cam sprocket. I am aware I will have to line up the hole in the sprocket to one of the marks.

Raymondwebster
You mean you removed the camshafts and is now trying to get the cam shaft lined up to each other?

Yes and I am not sure which of the two marks on the camshaft bearing cap the sprocket hole should line up to.

Raymondwebster
I hope you have the service bolt in place to lock the intake camshaft gear and subgear in position. Failure to do so would result in engine rattling and im proper valve timing.