I HAVE A OLDS . THE ALTENATOR WENT OUT. REPLACING IT I STRIPPED THE HOLE ON THE RADIATOR TO THE TRANSMISSION. AFTER REPLACING THE RADIATOR THE CAR OVER HEATS. WE TOOK OUT THE THERMOSTAT AND RAN THE CAR WITHOUT IT; IT STILL OVER HEATS. WHAT SHOU

1999 Oldsmobile Aurora • 144,000 miles

I noticed the coolant coming out of the resivour once it heated up.
Bfor1964

Best re post the question with all details, the question is a bit hard to understand.

Mhpautos
After replacing the radiator the car over heated. The thermostat was then removed. We ran the car without it and it still over heats. What should I look at next?

Bfor1964
I would be testing for a head gasket problem.

Mhpautos
Not the water pump then? Thanks

Bfor1964
A chemical head check is a quick and simple test for a head problem, with coolant being expelled I am thinking that there is a build up of pressure in the system due to a combustion leak, a faulty water pump will not normally give you your symptoms, check the head gasket first. A faulty water pump expecially with no thermostat will not cause overheating as the natural thermal flow of water with no thermostat will over come any pump preformance problems.

Mhpautos
Does that mean a new engine altimatrly?

Bfor1964
No not at all, if head gasket is faulty, head gasket set and proberbly minimal head machining to rectify any warp, bend or cracks, all standard procedures.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the help.

Bfor1964
What type of pricing is it to have the head gasket done?

Bfor1964
As I am in Australia, my pricing will not help, you should be able to get a few quotes, this should give you a fair idea.

Mhpautos