LOW OIL PRESSURE .

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee • V8 AWD Automatic • 115,000 miles

I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee larado. The check gage light came on, noticed that I had no oil pressure when I would let off the accelerator, but would go back to normal pressure when I would accelerate. Took the vehicle to my mechanic, he did some test on it and came up with that the pressure switch was the problem. He replaced it. As I was driving it home, I noticed that the oil pressure dropped when I would accelerate, but would go back to normal pressure when I would let off the accelerator. I'm thinking it's the oil pump now. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Jleija

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, if normal replace the oil pressure switch. If abnormal could mean oil pump and/or engine bearing.

THAT SORTA MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL ABOUT THE REVERSING ROLES!

I WOULD STICK WITH THE "RASMATAZ THING" USE A MECHANICAL GAUGE TO TEST IT.

HOWEVER, I WILL ADD TO IT, IF YOU JUST STICK ON A MECHANICAL GAUGE, IT WILL BE OUT OF SITE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE AND SEE IT AT THE SAME TIME (MOSTLY WHAT IS MEANT BY THIS IS A "PLUMBING STYLE" GAUGE SCREWED INTO THE SENDING UNIT PORT.

I RECOMMEND, GO TO THE AUTO PARTS STORE PICK OUT A DASH MOUNTED MECHANICAL GAUGE/ OR UNDER DASH--ONE THAT YOU LIKE IT'S APPEARANCE--MOST HAVE A PLASTIC OR COPPER TUBE THAT TIES INTO THE PORT THAT YOUR ORIGINAL SENDING UNIT WAS IN.

SEVERAL OPTIONS, YOU CAN FISH IT THRU THE HOOD AND THRU YOUR WINDOW. SIT IT SOMEWHERE AND WATCH IT WHILE DRIVINGMAKE THE DETERMINATION OF REPLACING THE ORIGINAL SENDER/ GAUGE OR BOTH.

OR---MOUNT THE NEW GAUGE PERMANENTLY--IF ALL CHECKS OUT WELL

OR----"TEE" IT IN, AND HAVE BOTH YOUR ORIGINAL GAUGE AND THE MECHANICAL GAUGE PERMANENTLY, TO COMPARE TO EACH OTHER

OR---STICK IT IN YOUR TOOL BOX FOR FUTURE TESTING

I DRIVE CJs, I TRUST THE MECHANICAL READINGS MORE THAN THE ELECTRIC STUFF. HECK, THATS WHAT YOU TEST WITH, WHY NOT USE IT ALL THE TIME?

I DO GO OVERBOARD, I "SHROUD" MY TUBE WITH SMALL FUEL LINE TO PROTECT IT---I ALSO HAVE A "BRASS PLUG" WIRED TO THE ENGINE CONNECTION OF THE TUBE----"WORST CASE SCENARIO" TUBE LEAKS OR BREAKS, I CAN SCREW OUT THE FITTING AND PLUG IT TEMPORARILY, SO IT IS STILL DRIVABLE.

PIC 1) "MR. JEEP'S" GAUGES ('77 CJ 5) --OIL TOP LEFT (MOST IMPORTANT, CLOSEST TO ME, TEMPERATURE [MECHANICAL ALSO], BOTTOM LEFT, ALSO CLOSE TO ME

PIC 2) "WILLY'S" GAUGES ('46 WILLYS) --SAME SET-UP MECHANICAL

PIC 3) YELLOW CAP PROTECTS MY "EMERGENCY PLUG" I DRILLED A SMALL HOLE IN THE BRASS (INSIGNIFICANT PORTION) AND USED SAFETY WIRE TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. NO SEARCHING, NO WALKING, I CAN'T FIND IT, I DON'T HAVE ONE. IT'S RIGHT THERE, IF NEEDED! YOU CAN ALSO SEE MY PROTECTIVE HOSE COVERING, IT TRAVELS THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE COPPER TUBE, TO THE GAUGE.

JUST A GLIMPSE OF THE MANY WONDERFUL MODS, I'VE DONE TO MY JEEPS