99 4.3L FUEL PUMP

1999 GMC Jimmy • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 170,000 miles

1999 gmc jimmy 4.3l. Just replaced the fuel pump and two days later the fuel pump stopped working. Pulled out the new fuel pump and replaced with a another new one. My question is what would cause the new fuel pump to go out? I know there is a possibility that it could have been just a bad fuel pump or I was wondering if there could be another kind of electrical problem that would cause the fuel pump to go out? Any suggestions?
Darrenbrandt

Check and test the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay and the fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit-also test for voltage drop problem

They have a known problem with the contacts in the plug at the tank.

Wrenchtech
I did just find that the oil sending unit was unplugged. How would the oil pressure sending unit affect the fuel pump? How can I tell if the fuel pump relay is bad?

Darrenbrandt
The oil pressure sender is a redundant power supply to the fuel pump. The truck can run with either/or working properly but if it loses both, it will not run so there is a good chance you have a problem with the relay. When running on the oil pressure switch only, you will have a long crank before starting because you aren't getting the 2 second prime supplied by the relay.

Wrenchtech