I WAS LOOKING TO BUY A USED . IT IS IN DECENT SHAPE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE GEAR SHIFTER IS MOVED ONE TO THE RIGHT. SO IT'S REALLY ON

1999 Ford Ranger • 12,400 miles

1999 Ford Ranger Transmission problem 124,000 miles
EricWhittle

What is the question it was cut off because you asked it in the subject box.

It gear shifter is one off to the right. So, its on 2 when you are in "drive". But im not sure its in drive because it does feel like 2nd gear. But if you put it to D you are in Neutral. Not sure if I would need a whole new trans

EricWhittle
MY DAD'S '86 THUNDERBIRD HAS AN "INDICATOR" THAT IS CONTROLLED BY WHAT LOOKS LIKE "FLY FISHING LINE" THAT PULLS THRU A PLASTIC TUBE.

THE "INDICATOR END" IS SPRING LOADED, BECAUSE IF YOU TAKE THE OTHER END LOOSE. IT AUTOMATICALLY MOVES TO PARK OR EVEN BEYOND PARK(P)

THE END THAT MOVES CONSISTS OF A COLLAR THAT ANCHORS TO THE COLUMN (WHICH CAN BE LOOSENED AND TURNED/ROTATED. THIS "CALIBRATES" THE INDICATOR NEEDLE)

THE OTHER ELEMENT IS THE "FLY FISHING LINE" HAS A LOOP WHICH GOES OVER A "SPIKE" ON THE ACTUAL SHIFTER ROD (WHICH ROTATES WHEN YOU MOVE THE COLUMN SHIFTER.

BASICALLY THE SHIFTER MOVES THE STRING WHICH MOVES THE "NEEDLE"---MOVING THE PLASTIC COLLAR ONE WAY OR THE OTHER (THEN TIGHTENING) WILL MOVE THE NEEDLE TO THE DESIRED POSITION

ON MY DAD'S--THE PLASTIC COLLAR BROKE. INSTEAD OF SPENDING THE $$$ AT THE DEALERSHIP, I WAS ABLE TO USE A HOSE CLAMP TO HOLD THE COLLAR IN PLACE. AND I HAD TO CALIBRATE IT WHILE TIGHTENING THE CLAMP AT THE SAME TIME

DID YOU PUT IT IN PARK---AND "COUNT" YOUR WAY DOWN/UP THRU THE TRANSMISSION POSITIONS?

IF IT DID, WHAT IT SHOULD DO THRU THE POSITIONS (LIKE AT THE TOP IS PARK--DOWN ONE IS REVERSE--DOWN ANOTHER IS NEUTRAL. ETC, MAYBE YOUR INDICATOR IS OFF AND CAN BE PUT BACK CORRECTLY

IT MAY JUST BE THE INDICATOR. NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRANNY

YOURS MAY NOT WORK EXACTLY LIKE MY DAD'S. THEN AGAIN IT MAY BE SIMILAR

IF YOUR GAUGES HAVE BEEN REMOVED OR YOUR HEATER CORE REPLACED. IT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED BACK WHERE IT GOES (COLLAR CALIBRATED). OR THE COLLAR IS LOOSE OR SPLITTING AND HAS SLIPPED

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

Put it in where drive should be and see if it shifts thru all the gears if it does the transmission is working as long as there is no hard shifts slipping etc?