4 WHEEL DRIVE

1994 Ford Ranger

1994 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140.00 miles

My 4 wheel drive does not want to engaged, you can hear it trying, the light on but it does not engaged, can, t drive in the snow without it. Do you think it is the motor? Need help want to repair before the snow season

updated

Ok I tested the module, that tested good, what is next. Thanks
Nittanita

Ok lets let the Truck tell us what is going on here. This is simple to do. First get to the 4x4 control module and unplug the 5 and 8 pin connector then you will find a switch on it set it to self test and then turn the key on engine off if the led light on the module flashes 4 times then the module is good however if the light stays off or comes on and stay's on then the module is bad and you will have to replace it. I would replace it with a wrecking or salvage yard one to save money. The module is located in the left rear corner of the cab on a standard cab and behind the drivers (left) side B piller trim on an extra cab. Let me know how this goes and we will take it from there. Here is a pic of the module so you know where the switch is and such.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_104.jpg

Racefan966
I have transferred your question here.

Ok now you will do a pin test for this test you will need a digital multi meter, I have also included a pic so you will know what pin is which you will do this test on the 5 pin harness first if this checks out then we will move to the test for the 8 pin harness. Between term 1 and 2 while holding the 4x4 button you should get 50 ohms of resistance. Now between term 1 and 3 while holding the 4x4 low button you should get 50 ohms. Now with a jumper wire between term 4 and ground, turn the key on engine off and the 4x4 indicator and the low range bar should light up, now key off remove jumper wire and put it between term 5 and ground with key on engine off the instrument panel and the 4x4 bar should light up. Let me know how this goes and we will go to the next step from there.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_106.jpg

Racefan966
What is the next step?

Adamr21
Well how did the test go what was the results? I can't go to the next step without the info needed. Thanks.

Racefan966