NEEDS THE #3 SPARK PLUG CHANGED EVERY 2 MONTHS

1999 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic •

I have a 99 ford explorer with a 4.0L OHV engine that needs the #3 spark plug changed every 2 months or The following symptom occurs every 2 months.

The following symptom occurs every couple months then goes way completely after the spark plug is changed. On start up the engine will have a noticeable miss then after about a minute it will clear up and run fine. When driving 40-50mph light acceleration or cruse the engine will start bucking( missing) seems to clear if down shifted or accelerated. I tried ignition parts coil, wires.

The compression is fine. Ford changed ignition parts and intake manifold gaskets 8yrs ago and70K miles. Like stated before a new plug always makes it run good for while. No fouling or abnormalities on plug. Any ideas? Thanks, J
Jwhit

Ok your PCM has 3 diff outputs to the 3 coils the coils share 2 plugs each. Since only 1 plug is acting up that points to the plug wire for the suspect cylinder. Does the plugs color on that cylinder match the other same coil plug?

Fixitmr
I have already traced the plug wire. Ohmed it out to confirm and even swapped the physical wire from cyl 2 and three. Still made no difference. The plug in cylinder 3 looks the same as cyl. One time I swapped plugs from cyl 2 to 3 and the problem went away for 2 months.
Thanks,
J

Jwhit
Have you compared the spark strength/quality on that cylinder?

Fixitmr
Yes, and the cylinder relative to other cylinder seems fine. I have heard there where issues with the cyl head cracks etc. I tried removing the plug and re-torquing it. That did not work. No signs of head gasket issues. Any ideas?

Thanks,
J

Jwhit
Try a hotter heat range plug? I had plug problems with a tempo and cured it by going to hot plug.

Fixitmr
Same car, same problem. Only difference - cracked ceramic insulator on the spark plug #3.

Pawel
I have changed this spark plug at least 9 times since I've owned the vehicle. I torque the spark plug and ensure the gap is correct each time.
Explorer starting to act up again. I think I'll try the hotter plug idea. Will be repairing a valve cover leak soon, so I think I'll change the inject in that cylinder too. Can't hurt

Jwhit
I chased this problem for several years. You have a small crack in the head between the intake valve and exhaust valve. This is very common, perhaps inevitable on a 98T head. Coolant leaks into the cylinder when the car sits and it runs rough for 10 to 20 seconds after a cold start. After 2000 to 3000 miles the coolant contaminates the ceramic on the plug and it becomes electrically conductive and causes a misfire. You change the plug and you are good another 2000 to 3000 miles. This occurs on the #3 cylinder (back passenger side) and #4 cylinder (front driver side). K& W block sealer may plug the leak a bit and you can get more than 2000-3000 miles out of a plug. The only real fix is an aftermarket head that has more metal at the point where is cracks. That's what I did for mine. Google "Ford 4.0 ohv cylinder head crack" to see pictures. Good luck.

Jimschirle