HOW TO ADJUST IDEL AIR SENSOR ON 99

1999 Dodge Durango • 152,000 miles

Put a new one in now it wont idle right does good while running put when shut off idles to low and dies
Josh 85

Hi this is done with a scanner there are no manual adjustments

Billymac
But old idle sensor back on does good at times [idles at 800 rpm] but goes from 800 to 1100 then back down. Some times when you let it set for a day or two it starts up fine then dies if you dont keep your foot on the gas for about a minute. The only code is idle air control system. Can you help

Josh 85
Hi yes it certainly seems to be an iac sensor. If you look inside the bottom of the sensor the end that goes inside the throttle body. Can you see any carbon that may be stopping pintle to fully retract. If so you can clean this with some carb kleen. Or replace the iac sensor

Billymac
There is no dirt in it put a new one on it but it would idle to high [1100 rpm] all time with engine hot or cold

Josh 85
Try this with new one on truck normal temp eng idleing unplug sensor and plug back in while it is running the new sensor has to be reconized by the pcm in order for it to relearn the desired idle.

Billymac
I did it did fine till shut it off started it back it would not idle

Josh 85
Let me see if I can find you the relearn procedure for this

Billymac
You can also manually trigger a relearning procedure. If you disconnect the cables leading to your vehicle's battery, the computer's source of power, and leave them disconnected for at least half an hour, you have essentially turned off your vehicle's computer and forced it to reboot. After the computer reboots, it will relearn your vehicle's system parameters by running a new diagnostic check as you drive.

Billymac